Saturday, January 1, 2022

9GOATS BLACK OUT - devils in bedside

9GOATS BLACK OUT
devils in bedside
2008/01/25

1. sink
2. 690min
3. 夜想 -nocturne -
4. Den lille Havfrue
5. raw
6. float

I think the first thing that I noticed about this band back in the day when they announced themselves was how weird their name was, haha. Little did I know that the music itself would be out of the ordinary too, in a positive way of course.

The vocalist Ryo was already familiar from his previous band GULLET so I was expecting something along those lines (dark and heavy), but it almost turned out to be exactly the opposite. Needless to say, when I heard the first previews and saw their first music vid I was blown away. The opening track is the perfect mood setter, laid-back and hauntingly melancholic. I distinctly remember everyone in my VK friend circle being immediately impressed by just this one tune, from the melodies to the layered and clear sound production. It was such a level-up compared to the music of the time, and it still holds its own.

Everything on here just sounds so effortlessly cool and sleek. After the lulling opener we are treated to a stimulating variety of sounds and textures, even from the heavier end of the spectrum. Some careful touches of piano and clever guitar arrangements ensure that no song here comes even close to being boring.

Clocking in at a reasonable 20 minutes, this mini album is the perfect gateway drug to get the listener hooked on 9GBO's world. After this release they went on to make further great works (and later the guitarist fittingly ended up in sukekiyo, another band with a unique vibe), but to me nothing will ever top the rush of excitement I got from checking this mini album out for the first time.



No comments:

Post a Comment